date: 2016-10-05 draft: false type: release-note version: 2.18.0 title: “Release 2.18.0” preview: “Major release for 2.18.x” apiBreaking: “Removed the deprecated vtdxml language. You can use the generic language (vtdxml) instead” knownIssues: "" jiraVersionId: 12334759
Welcome to the 2.18.0 release which resolved over 500 issues. This is first release that requires Java 8 and comes with a much-improved Spring Boot support, and ships with numerous new features, improvements and bug fixes.
- Java DSL with experimental Java8 functional/lambda support. Check out the camel-example-java8. We love feedback on this DSL and expect to improved the API over the next couple of releases.
- The XSD schema for
<camelContext> and its other configuration elements are now also documented (before it was only
<rests>). The XSD schema now also documents the default values of all the options.
FluentProducerTemplate using fluent builder style as a alternative to ProducerTemplate
- All Camel Components that has options to be configured now supports and include Spring Boot auto configuration for those options, so they can easily be configured in your application.yaml file when using Spring Boot with Camel.
- Camel Spring Boot now supports the same link:advanced-configuration-of-camelcontext-using-spring.html[advanced configuration] you can do with Spring XML, if the beans have been configured using
@Bean style in a Spring Boot configuration class.
- Added Hystrix EIP as EIP pattern that uses native Netflixx Hystrix as the Circuit Breaker implementation. This requires having
camel-hystrix on the classpath.
- Added Service Call EIP as EIP pattern that allows to call a remote service in a distributed system, where the service is looked up from a service registry of some sorts, such as kubernetes, consul, etcd, zookeeper etc.
- Running Camel with Spring Boot now includes a Camel Health Indicator (actuator) if
spring-boot-starter-actuator is on the classpath.
- The Rest component allows to call REST services now (as a client), where you can pick one of the following Camel components for the HTTP transport: http, http4, netty4-http, jetty, restlet, undertow. You can also refer to a existing swagger api doc and include camel-swagger-java on the classpath, for automatic validation of rest endpoint is configured to use a valid rest operation/parameters.
- The Rest DSL now auto discovers which HTTP component to use if no explicit component name has been configured, by the available components on the classpath (by their default name) and if there only exists one, then that is used.
- Spring-DM for OSGi moved out of camel-spring into a separate camel-spring-dm module.
- Improved the Bean component to better match method parameter types when using Simple language as parameter values.
BindyConverter that allows to implement custom data converters for Bindy
- The access in the Rest DSL has been deprecated and no longer in use - its not part of swagger specification anymore.
- Camel-NATS now uses JNATS client instead of the deprecated Java_nats one.
- During startup of link:../camelcontext.adoc[CamelContext] the services that are used as part of routes are now deferred being started to the end of the startup process. Some IoC frameworks like Spring can otherwise causes a circular dependency issue if services are started too early. A side effect is that if service startup failures happen when being started later, they are now wrapped in the
FailedToStartupRouteException to better pin point which route thas the problem.
- Improved the startup sequence of Spring Java Config to be similar to Spring Boot that helps prevent Spring initialization errors about circular dependencies issues.
- Added PATCH to Rest DSL
- Added “starts with” and “ends with” operator to the Simple language.
BeanIOSplitter to BeanIO that can be used with the Splitter EIP to split big payloads in streaming mode without reading the entire content into memory.
- Some of the AWS components allows to specify ARN in the endpoint configuration.
- The create operation in Zookeeper now creates sub paths if missing.
- Added support for async mode for SERVLET component to leverage Asynchronous Servlet from the Servlet 3.0 spec.
- Bean component and Bean Language validates method name must be a valid according to java identifier rules, and also if parameter syntax has an ending parenthesis.
- You can now use
@RunWith(CamelSpringBootJUnit4ClassRunner.class) to test Camel Spring Boot applications and use the Camel test annotations from Spring Testing such as
- To turn on logging exhausted message body with the message history you can configure this easily on the CamelContext level with
- Camel-Infinispan now supports Aggregation Repository: InfinispanLocalAggregationRepository and InfinispanRemoteAggregationRepository
- The SQL Component and ElSql now supports
outputType=StreamList to use an iterator for the output of the SQL query that allows to process the data in a streaming fashion such as with the Splitter EIP to process the data row by row, and load data from the database as needed.
- JPA now includes a
JpaPollingConsumer implementation that better supports Content Enricher using
pollEnrich to do a on-demand poll that returns either none, one or a list of entities as the result.
- Calling Bean with method parameters defined using Simple language parameters, now avoids an intermediate conversion of the parameters to a String value. This ensures the passed in values when calling the bean method is using the parameter type as-is from Simple language.
- Camel CDI now supports importing Camel XML configuration files
- Camel CDI does not deploy an empty Camel context bean anymore if not route builder beans nor Camel beans are deployed
- Camel CDI adds the
@Named qualifier to Camel route management events so that it's possible to observe these events for a specific route with an explicit
- Camel BeanIO now supports the possibility to use a custom BeanReaderErrorHandler implementation in his configuration
- Camel Kubernetes now supports Kubernetes ConfigMap feature
- The Tokenizer and XMLTokenizer language now supports using Simple expressions as the token / xml tag names so they can be dynamic values.
filterFile options to File2 so filtering can be done using Simple language or predicates.
- Optimize Camel to only enable AllowUseOriginalMessage if in use by error handler or OnCompletion. End user who manually access the original message using the Java API must configure AllowUseOriginalMessage=true.
- Camel-AHC Camel-HTTP Camel-HTTP4 Camel-Jetty now support a connectionClose parameter to allow explicitly adding a Connection Close header to HTTP request
- Bindy allows to plugin custom formatters for mapping to custom types.
- Content Enricher using
pollEnrich now supports consumers configured with
consumer.bridgeErrorHandler=true to let any exceptions from the poll propagate to the route error handler, to let it be able to perform redeliveries and whatnot.
- CXF and CXFRS now support setting of the SSL-context link:camel-configuration-utilities.html[Using the JSSE Configuration Utility]
- MongoDB now is fully converted to MongoDB 3 although we still use BasicDBObject instead of Document
- Camel Spring Boot can now scan for classes in Spring Boot FAR jars with embeds third party JARs.
- You can now set the SNI Hostnames using the Camel Configuration Utilities to indicate the hostnames you try to connect
- The XML DSL will preserve double spaces in the context-path of uri attributes when removing white space noise, when uri's are configured using mutli lines.
- The Camel Catalog module can now load older versions of Camel to be used when querying the catalog. There is a
camel-catalog-maven module that is able to download catalog JARs from Maven central.
- A new Camel Attachment interface was added that allows propagating headers for attachments. Camel CXF, Camel Mail (including the MIME-Multipart data format), and Camel-Jetty set and consume attachment headers.
- Improved bean method call to validate if method name with parameters has valid number of parenthesis in the syntax.
- The JSonPath now supports inlined Simple language expressions to allow more dynamic expressions.
- Improved Netty4 producer to be fully asynchronous when connecting to remote server.
- The Websocket component now uses a timeout when sending to websocket channels to avoid potentially blocking for a long time due networking issues with clients.
- Hazelcast Component now provide a RoutePolicy.
- Saxon has been upgraded to version 9.7
- Fixed Bean component to avoid ambiguous error for classes that extends generic interface and calling which could lead to falsely duplicate methods (due Java type erasure inserts bridge methods)
- Fixed splitting using tarfile could cause OOME if splitting big files which was mistakenly loaded into memory. Now we work on the tar stream directly.
- Fixed Netty HTTP and Netty4 HTTP issue when not specifying a port number then port 80 would not be used but an error about port -1 is not allowed.
- Fixed Swagger Java when using property placeholders in Rest DSL could cause invalid parameters to be included that was from the placeholder.
threads EIP now lets Error handling in Camel perform redeliveries if the thread pool would otherwise reject accepting the task. This allows the error handler to perform redeliveries to attempt to put the task on the thread pool queue, or eventually move the message to a dead letter queue etc.
- Fixed Rest DSL adding empty header if specifying a non required query parameter that has no default value assigned.
- Fixed doWhile loop which could potentially loop forever.
- Fixed a NPE in Zookeeper consumer if no zookeeper node path was set
- When using continued with onException then dead letter channel endpooint should not be invoked.
- Fixed Error Handler to not log exceptions when using
continued(true) by default.
- Fixed so using shareUnitOfWork would now also call specialized
AggregationStrategy for onTimeout, onCompletion etc.
- Fixed Jetty consumer incorrectly handle multipart/form data not being mapped as attachments on the Camel Message.
- Fixed Netty4 HTTP may fail reading the http content from the raw netty stream if the Exchange was routed asynchronously.
- Fixed Netty4 HTTP leak ByteBuf's on the producer side which was not released in all corner cases before they may be gargage collected.
- Fixed Dozer not able to use variables in mapping files when using OSGi.
- Fixed a potential dead-lock when doing request/reply over JMS and requests are timing out concurrently and continued routing the exchanges are calling another JMS endpoint that is also doing request/reply which also timeout.
- Fixed Load Balancer EIPs to support using any property placeholder using the prop: prefix.
- Fixed context scoped OnCompletion would not stop/shutdown its processors when CamelContext is being shutdown.
- Fixed memory leak in Routing Slip when the slip routes to certain kind of Camel components.
- Fixed SQL Component query parameter mis-match issue when using IN queries together with other named parameters.
- Fixed a memory leak with CXF when continuation was expired could cause Camel message not to be unregisteted from in-flight registry.
- Fixed a preformance regression when using